What’s today about?
Where do you live? Who lives with you? Who lives in your community?
In our story Jesus (God the Son) gives His friends special instructions to live like Him and to do what He did and tell everyone about God’s love for them: baptising (sprinkling or covering them with water) in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
Christians believe that God is Father, Son and Holy Spirit all equal, all God. We call this The Trinity. All being God but individual. Sounds confusing? Well it is kind of a bit of a mystery. That’s okay if we knew everything about God but God wouldn’t really be God!
Our God is a God of community and mutual love. If God is a God of love and community then as followers we need to also be for community, love and equality. God can teach us lots about how to live even by who God is. If God is in perfect love and community that’s why he wants us to live loving others as well.
We’re going to hear from the Bible, pray, explore what it means to us, and have a song as well.
Hearing from the Bible!
Let’s listen to this Bible story:
You can find that story in the bible in: Matthew 28. 16-20
Questions? Choose one of the following questions.
What do you think about God as Trinity?
What were the most important parts of the story?
How can you love others better?
What would your perfect community look like?
Let’s Pray – For the World, Community and People
We can pray to God about everything! For our prayers this week we will pray for the world, our communities and people who need prayers.
- If you are not feeling like drawing then you can always get pictures or maps up from the internet to look at and focus on.
What to do:
- Draw a world, Write or draw some things around your world to pray for, then get someone to read out the prayers starting with “God we pray for”. Say the prayers around your drawing, then at the end you all say “We Agree”
- Draw your community, Write or draw some things around your community to pray for, then get someone to read out the prayers starting with “God we pray for”. Say the prayers around your drawing then at the end you all say “We Agree”
- Draw a person. Write or draw some people around your person to pray for, then get someone to read out the prayers starting with “God we pray for”. Say the prayers around your drawing then at the end you all say “We Agree”
- At the end say “We agree” together.
Responding to the story:
Have a go at the activity to help think about the story:
Craft – Plaits
Jesus says to baptise people in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
To remind that God is Father, Son and Holy Spirit, we are going to make a 3 cord plait. Think while you make it about how the strings are all the same and together. God is all equal and all people are equal no matter where they are from, their gender or their skin colour.
How can you make sure everyone is treated equally?
- String, thread or Wool
What to do?
Follow the instructions here as to how to make the 3 string plait:
Or watch the video.
Make – Junk House
Jesus tells His friends to tell everybody to be His friends and God is welcoming them all in. To sum up everything that He taught, we have a golden rule to love God and love others as well. Jesus wanted His friend, the church, be be a perfect example of that love. What would that love look like? What would your perfect community look like?
Out of junk make your perfect house to show love to people!
- Junk – toilet rolls, cardboard, bottles or cartons
- Scissors (have a parent help if needed)
What to do
Use the junk to make your perfect house! How would it welcome people? What would it look like?
Think: Have you ever felt like you did not fit in? How did it feel?
Go – Seeds Family Worship