What’s today about?
Have you ever had really good news? Who did you tell?
In today’s story the disciples had some great news to share – Jesus was alive and God’s love was open to all. But they needed to wait for a special gift from God before they could share their good news. When they were all gathered together, after Jesus had ascended to heaven, the Holy Spirit arrived and gave them power and they went and shared the good news of Jesus that he was alive and God’s love was for everyone.
We’re going to hear from the Bible, pray, explore what it means to us, and have a song as well.
Hearing from the Bible!
Let’s listen to this Bible story:
You can find that story in the bible in: Acts 2
Questions? Choose one of the following questions
How would you feel if you were sitting with the disciples?
What were the most important parts?
How would you have felt being in the room when the Holy Spirit came?
What’s the best way to share good news?
Let’s Pray – Flames
What looked like flames rested on the heads of the disciples as a sign that God’s power was with them. God is with us when we pray and the Holy Spirit is there to guide and comfort us. We will pray today remembering the flames the disciples saw when the Holy Spirit came.
- Paper (red if you have it)
- Scissors (parents permission and help)
- Blutack or tape.
What to do:
- Draw flame shapes on your paper
- Cut out the flame shapes
- Write or draw something you want to pray for
- Stick the prayer on a mirror so it looks like the flames are resting on your head like the disciples. Every time you use the mirror you can be reminded of the prayer.
- Don’t forget to tell the person that you prayed for them and God loves them.
Responding to the story
Have a go at the activity to help think about the story:
Craft – Flame pin wheel
The Holy Spirit coming looked like flames. It brought them confidence to tell everyone about Jesus and not to be afraid! Flames are not to be played with. Fire is very powerful, it can destroy whole forests but can also bring light and warmth. The Holy Spirit is God’s power in us!
What helps you have confidence? You can put the pin wheel somewhere to remind you that God is with you and you can ask him for the Holy Spirit to be with you!
- Paper or card
- Glue stick
- Crayons or markers
- Pencil with rubber
- Push pin
- Bead or small button (optional)
What to do?
Follow the instructions here as to how to make the pinwheel
You can also find a printable flame pinwheel here:
Game – Blow Football
The Holy Spirit coming made a sound like a strong wind. It also made a difference to the disciples. They started speaking in different languages and telling everyone about Jesus!
They couldn’t see the Holy Spirit but it made an impact just like the wind blowing thorough a straw to move a ball.
How can you tell people you know about God’s love?
- A ball – ping pong ball, Rolled up paper, tin foil ball or anything light and round
- Drinking Straw (if you don’t have one any tube you can safely blow through)
- Two goals – could be paper or simple a couple of objects to score between.
What to do
- Make the goals
- Put the ball in the centre
- Then using the straws try to blow the blow into your opponents goal.
For a simple video guide:
Think: Have you been anywhere you didn’t understand what people where saying? What helped you understand?
Vineyard Kids – We Shine