Have you ever seen a parade or been in a big crowd and wondered what is going on?
Well in our Bible story today Jesus is in a big crowd in fact he is a bit of a celebrity. The whole of Jerusalem is talking about him riding into the city on a donkey just like a king would!
Jesus is now on a journey. A journey to the cross and this is the start of it. Jesus is entering Jerusalem with people shouting, waving palms and cheering. Things would change and the cheers would turn to shouts to put Jesus on a cross to die.
We will hear a Bible story, think about what it means to us, pray and respond to the story in a creative way!
Hearing from the bible!
Let’s listen to this bible story:
You can find that story in the bible Matthew 21: 1-11
Questions? Choose one of the following questions
What parts of the story were your favourites?
- What were the most important parts?
- Why did all the people welcome Jesus?
- How can we welcome Jesus today?
- Something to wave like a scarf or even a big leaf like a palm.
Wave your scarf/palm. We are going to being saying some hosannas which means “Save Now”.
- Say what you are thankful for and say/shout Hosanna after each prayer.
- Say someone you want to pray for and say/shout Hosanna after each prayer.
- Say a prayer for yourself and say/shout Hosanna after each prayer.
Responding to the story
Have a go at one of these activities to help think about the story:
Craft: Palms and crosses
Today we will be making palms or Crosses or both!:
For the palms:
Feel free to use any paper or sticks you have make it as colourful and exciting as you want!
For the crosses:
Think: Have you ever ridden a donkey or a horse? How do you think Jesus felt as he rode into Jerusalem?
Eat: Palm Sundaes
- Ice cream
- Toppings: Sprinkles, Sauce, squirty cream and fruit
I bet you have been told not to play with your food. But now it is time to! Try to make the scene of Jesus riding into Jerusalem on the donkey.
Think: Its not a party without ice cream! Think about how you would welcome Jesus if he came to town today?
Think: What would you think if you saw Jesus riding on a donkey with everyone cheering?
King of Me by Rend Collective